A local locksmith wanted to be found on Google. I used his desired search term in the URL (web address), meta tags, headings, body copy and calls to action. As a result, his site appeared first in Google’s natural listings and it didn’t cost him a penny. He could then generate all his business from the site instead of paying a fortune to advertise each year in printed directories.
- SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation, that is, what you can do on your website in order to get found on search without having to pay for ads
- Google is the world’s most popular search engine (and Google owns YouTube)
- Links in the natural/organic (free) search results get more clicks than the ads, especially the first three links on page 1
- It’s easier to be found for ‘long tail’ specific key phrases than for single keywords
- It’s best to optimise separate pages for separate keywords/phrases
I’m over-simplifying (because the algorithm is secret, complex and changes all the time), but there are four main things Google is looking for:
- Good clean code (that’s down to your web developer or the platform you choose)
- Freshness (which is one good reason to have a constantly updated blog)
- Keywords (although these are increasingly less important)
- Inbound links (every link TO your site is like a vote that moves it up the rankings – but only if it’s from a site that’s highly ranked and relevant to your own). Note that people will only link to pages of your site that add value (which is another good reason to have a blog)
If you want SEO-friendly web copy that will help you get found on search, the first step is to conduct keyword research and find out what people are actually searching. We’ll then write web copy that seamlessly weaves in your keywords, so the page is picked up by search engines but not repetitive and clumsy for human beings to read. We don’t usually write meta tags, so we work with search engine optimisation specialists who do.
Remember, getting found on search is one thing. It’s more important to convert site visitors into enquiries, sales or subscribers. We can help with that too.